Detox and Reducing Toxins.
I just returned from Sanoviv Medical Institute in Rosarito, Mexico, where I received my Nutrition Advisor Certification. I was so impressed by this ultra clean facility and campus, where I learned about digestion, detoxification, nutrition, and weight loss.
Sanoviv is a medical hospital with a beautiful view of the Pacific Ocean. In fact, each room has a view! Not only is this a medical facility where cancer patients go for alternative treatments, they treat the whole person. Each patient receives nutritional education, psychiatric consultation, healing foods, and holistic therapies in a beautiful place of healing.
Our group experienced education and detoxification up close and personal. The freshly prepared foods were amazing. Everything was garden fresh (40% produced on site), organic, gluten-free and dairy-free. We also enjoyed green juice, wheatgrass shots, herbal teas and fresh coconut water. I ate a lot of sprouts and hope to incorporate those into our family diet.
Chemical Free Before It Was Cool
Sanoviv provided us with super comfy organic cotton clothes for our entire stay. Their building was built in 1998, when green was just starting on the west coast and long before LEED (Leadership in Energy & Environmental Design) moved to the east. By the way, I’m LEED certified (from my architecture and real estate days).
What impressed me most is Sanoviv’s dedication to organic cleaning products and their water system. When I got home, I could only taste chemicals in our water!! While I would love to have an entire home water system that filters our city water 10 times, and one with reverse osmosis, we do hope to make some improvements to what we drink.
How You Can Reduce Your Toxic Load
Did you know there are over 100,000 food and chemical additives and each American consumes about 14 pounds of additives per year?
Here are some steps you can take:
- Drink ½ your body weight in de-chlorinated water daily.
- Do you need to eat more protein? Once per day is usually enough for fish, grass fed beef or organic chicken. Did you know that toxins need to attach to a protein for elimination?
- Take an inventory of the chemicals under your sink. What can you eliminate? Murphy’s Oil is my new carpet and floor cleaner. I had only used it on wood surfaces, but this coconut oil based cleaner is so diverse – I will be using it on stained clothes.
- Switch to fragrance free detergent and eliminate chemical laden dryer sheets. Have you heard of wool dryer balls? Norwex makes these. I can give you a referral.
- Detox Your Liver! A full detox diet includes elimination of processed foods, dairy, sugars, alcohol and caffeine. If that seems too overwhelming, eliminate one group during the course of a week – it’s all progress! Taking a high quality Liver Detox Supplement will also help to remove heavy metals, regulate hormones, improve cell functionality and help along a safe detoxification process. I would love to introduce you to my favorite.
Would you like a personalized detoxification plan? Let’s chat!